Saturday, January 3, 2009

Part three

I'm afraid George, this is where we will probably part ways. This is where every conversation like this goes downhill...fast. This is where we stop listening to each other (assuming we ever did) and all we can hear is the white noise in our own heads. I don't know where to begin, and I think I am afraid to try.

How about we not go there.

That is what we always decide. Instead of going there, we stay on the surface where it is nice and safe. We don't dig through the shit and the muck because then we'll get dirty. Instead we play nice, smile and pass the salt.

It's 2 am. I shouldn't be blogging. But it's bothered me that I've left this dialogue just hanging. Why can't I ever finish it...even with a fictional person??

How about we say,.....it doesn't matter what and how our beliefs differ. But please don't try to use logic to convince me of what you have come to believe is truth when what I see is a reliance on logical fallacies...such as....appeal to fear, appeal to emotion, and post hoc to name just a few. You can't try to use evidence to your advantage and then tell me evidence doesn't apply when it doesn't swing in your favor. Not everything that isn't faith promoting, is anti or threatening to your beliefs. There is so so so much out there that is fascinating, motivating, beautiful...and it is both tangible and unknowable.

Ugh. Forget it. Could you pass the salt please?

1 comment:

Counterintuitive said...

If you figure out how to continue this conversation with a fictive or real person, I'm listening--the very discursive frames which hold together a conversation crumble, the pieces falling through our fingers.

And, yes, how I'm not interested in a scientific, evidence based argument for religion. This is insincere. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable with some "new" atheists who insist that scientific logic is the only way to make an argument. To a degree, I assume this kind of position has influenced religious people to make so-called logical arguments rather than sticking to there spiritual texts which advocate faith and mysticism.