Saturday, December 27, 2008

To my dear George....

Recently I was reading the newspaper (online) about the declining rates of Mormons in Utah. A welcome trend in my opinion, I would love a little more diversity around here. (and I think many active Mormons would agree with me). I usually try to avoid this, but I found myself reading the comment section at the bottom of the article. I think the Trib and Deseret News comments are usually thoughtless, offensive and polarized dribble. I don't usually waste my time on them. But today, I got pulled in by a catchy title and ended up reading this one. (author unknown).


"The path to overcome our selfishness, disobedience, lust and other sins is a continue source of opposition. As we slip into the ways of the world, we will surely lose our ways. When we gained a testimony, It seems to take a certain amount of honesty to see the truthfulness of the fullness of the gospel. However, staying active in the true church of Jesus Christ is another story. We must endure to the end. We must keep every commandment. Everyone will get offended, and we must forgive. God lives, I have a testimony of the eternal nature of the only true church of Jesus Christ on the earth, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you have slipped and are questioning, ponder this scripture in Section 121 of the D&C: 34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? 35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson— 36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness. Don't give up your path to eternal life. Prayer, obedience, humility, faith can be called upon to strengthen your testimony. "

A part of me reads this and I feel an odd sense of kinship with the author. Not because I agree with any of it, but because not that long ago, I could have been the author. I feel like I understand where the person is coming from, and the feelings that motivated this comment. I don't believe this commenter is a "mindless drone" like many reading it have asserted. But I do not agree with even one line of it. In fact I think the ideas presented in this comment are dangerous. I want to break it down and explain why I think these ideas are dangerous...line by line. Respectfully. It's not that I am really all that distracted by the Mormon debate anymore, I feel like I've moved on from that. I don't think I have the ability to change anyone's mind, and I no longer concern myself with trying. I feel comfortable with where I'm at, and where I'm going. I have found beauty and meaning in my life and it is not enhanced by "being right" and proving someone else "wrong". Yet, maybe for the same reasons that compelled the author of this comment, (lets call him "George" for convenience sake.)..to write this, I too feel compelled to counter it with my own opinion. I think George is wrong. I may be wrong too. But I believe engaging in dialogue, if we follow the rules of respectful debate....will help us, if not anything more, than to at least understand where the other is coming from, even if we can't ever agree. If George is able to convince me, using logic, feeling, examples,...I would be willing to move from my opinion. I want to maintain an open mind, and if I'm wrong, I want to be shown how I'm wrong. I would hope that George would be willing to do the same. My goal however, is not to convince George of anything, more than it is to explore and challenge (or have challenged) my own viewpoint. I think the worst thing for me is to maintain a rigid stance when there is so much out there that I haven't yet considered. I'm not jumping from one ideology to another, more than I am seeking to layer my perspectives and hopefully what I will end up with is a mixture of truth. Not "objective truth" as I am very suspect of anything claiming to be objective truth. But truth that resonates for me. My own truth. Or the truth that informs my behavior. Which really, when it all comes down to it, is the only thing that I have any control over.

So George...what do you think? Do you want to play? Are you in? It will have to wait until later because I have a house full of wrapping paper to contend with. That, plus I need some time to get my thoughts lined up.

No comments: